It was a really good discussion on the housing crisis in Newham and what we are doing to address it and what we need to do to solve it.
- Under Mayor Rokhsana Fiaz we are building more Council homes at Council rents in her 4 year term than in the previous 50 years. A 1000 homes.
- We have restarted Tenants and Leaseholders representation and participation in Newham 9 years after it was dismantled. Local TRAs will decide on a spend of £1 million a year on local projects.
- We now have a named housing officer for every home, block and estate in Newham.
- We are planning to reopen Housing offices in Newham for vulnerable residents to able to have face to face contact with officers.
- We will be spending £120 million in planned improvements on our estates including new roofs, door entry systems, kitchens and bathrooms, improving energy efficiency and designing out crime.
- We will reverse the years of under investment in preventing rough sleeping and homelessness.