In this session the Communities and Local Government Committee will examine the evidence presented on the Channel 4 Dispatches programme of Monday 6 July 2015 regarding local councils and lender option, borrower option loans.
- Inquiry: Local Councils and Lender Option, Borrower Option loans
- Communities and Local Government Committee
The meeting will be webcast on Parliamentlive.tv.
WitnessesMonday 20 July 2015
- Mr Antony Barnett, Reporter, Channel 4 News and Current Affairs
- Mr Abhishek Sachdev, CEO, Vedanta Hedging Ltd
- Mr Rob Carver, Former Derivatives Trader, Barclays Capital
BackgroundOn 6 July 2015, a Channel 4 Dispatches programme revealed that many Local Authorities had taken out loans from banks for which Councils were paying high interest rates and which many Councils were locked into because of expensive “break” clauses.
The report suggested that up to one fifth of Council borrowing was taken out under such Lender Option, Borrower Option loans for which interest rates were over 7% in some cases. Most of these loans were taken out between 2003 and 2011 when Councils believed interest rates would remain high. The Dispatches programme estimated that banks made more than £1bn in upfront profits on local authority loans.