I’m Rokhsana and I’m asking you to vote for me as your Labour candidate for Mayor of Newham. You can read more about me and the detailed plans for Newham here.
From tomorrow, you'll be receiving details about how to vote from the Labour Party, so keep an eye out for your letter in the post!
This selection is a choice between Newham as it has been, and Newham as it needs to be. It’s time for a fresh start, a new vision, a different way of doing things.
It’s time to put our people at the heart of everything we do as a Labour Council by democratising how we do things for and with them.
As your Labour Mayor, housing will be my top priority. I will embark on the most ambitious programme of building new Council homes at affordable social rents for a generation - so that our residents can stay in Newham. This means:
There will be:
- A Newham Housing Delivery Plan because there is land to build thousands of genuinely affordable at social rent new homes we need for our people.
- To build 100 new Council owned homes in my first year let at social rent levels, with a target of at least 1000 over my first term.
- That 50 percent of Council and private homes built in Newham over the next four years will be let at social rent levels.
With me as your Labour Mayor we can show what great things Labour in power, working together with its people, can achieve locally.
Please give me that chance to be that Mayor. I will work hard for you, your family and everyone in Newham.
e: email@example.com w: rokhsana.org
Twitter @rokhsanafiaz Facebook @rokhsana4Newham Instagram rokhsana_fiaz
There is a housing crisis in Newham and many of our residents cannot afford to live here anymore. Nearly 24,000 people were on Newham’s Housing List and around 4500 households were homeless in September 2017. But Newham has the land to build over 35,000 homes over the next 10 years.
As your Labour Mayor, I will embark on a programme of building new Council homes at affordable social rents so that our residents can stay in Newham.
I will also:
- start 100 new Council owned homes to be let at social rent levels in my first year with a target of at least 1000 over my first term, which will include homes for residents with disabilities. A Newham Housing Delivery Plan will be produced in my first six months;
- ensure that at least 50 percent of Council and private homes that are built in Newham over the next four years are let at social rents and are owned by the Council. This is a challenging but achievable target;
- terminate the proposed Carpenters Estate Joint Venture scheme and consult directly with residents about producing a resident-led Masterplan for its future. This will include the largest proportion of socially rented Council homes on the estate that is possible, aiming for a minimum of 50 percent;
- let 50 percent of all homes being built or which have planning permission by the Council’s private sector development company Red Door Ventures at social rents on long term tenancies. I will look at using the other 50 percent of homes for innovative long-term solutions aimed at helping Newham residents to stay in the Borough;
- end the current NewShare scheme, which sells off 250 void Council homes each year, immediately;
- rigorously scrutinise all right to buy applications and campaign for an end to Right to Buy;
- support the creation of at least one Community Land Trust in Newham;
- tackle homelessness with compassion and care, so that people who become homeless are housed within Newham, wherever possible. We will look at Housing First type models and innovative forms of temporary accommodation as well as permanent Council owned homes;
- build on the Council’s Private Landlord Licensing scheme to pursue private landlords more vigorously and fully use the new powers in the Labour sponsored Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Bill.