The motion below was sent by my branch to UNISON National Delegate Conference earlier this year calling for the end of such "no fault evictions". Surely not shome coincidence!
1.That the number of households in London who rent from private landlords is up from 15% in 2000 to 27% in 2017 and that Shelter forecast that nationally this growth will continue.
2. The lack of security for private tenants causes unnecessary homelessness and makes it very difficult for private tenants to lead settled lives.
3. High rents in this sector cause hardship for tenants and leads to the taxpayer subsidising private landlords via housing benefit.
4. Shelter believe that the reasons behind Labour winning in Canterbury and Kensington is due to the number of private tenants voting Labour (the rent quake).
1. To hold a national wide campaign day in 2019 for proposals to improve the private rented sector.
2. To produce campaign materials for branches on the private rented sector.
3. To campaign and support calls for an end to no fault evictions and rent controls for the private rented sector.
4. To produce guidance for all branches on how the Letting Fees bill currently in Parliament should be enforced by local councils.
5. To ask Labour Link to support manifesto commitment to reform of the private rented sector.
UNISON Housing Associations branch (Greater London)