UNISON has cross service group national and regional forums on the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS). The overriding purpose of these forums is to defend and improve the LGPS which 4 million UK workers depend upon and has £250 billion in assets.
- Support appropriate take up of the 50/50 option, especially for low paid workers who would otherwise leave the LGPS. Point out you still get full life insurance cover with 50/50
- Recruiting and training for new reps;
- LGPS fund manager Baillie Gifford refusal to talk to trade unions about manufacturer Tesla's appalling health & safety record.
- Indemnity insurance for Pension board members. The saga continues. Why do some funds have it but others say it is not necessary?
- How to challenge inaccurate calculations of pensions (a rep reported that there has been some awful big mistakes made);
- Poor governance arrangements on some London Pension boards;
- Member representation on the London Pension Fund Authority
- Access to UNISONs financial advice partner Lighthouse;
- Carbon divestment campaign. Branches and Climate campaigners need to work together.
- Carbon Neutral investment;
- New Minister for Local Government Pensions (who knows his stuff);
- 2018 LGPS PLSA conference;
- Millions of pounds of savings already made by London Pension funds due to UNISON's work on exposing excessive fees:
- Problems with the London Collective Investment Vehicle (especially with Governance and ESG)
- Disaster. The government wins legal appeal that they can force LGPS to invest in line with the whims of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. What could possibly go wrong?
- We finished with a minutes silence for the victims of Grenfell.