Councillor Report to West Ham Ward
WEST HAM WARD LABOUR PARTY
tel: 020 3373 2615 or email John.Gray@newham.gov.uk
Ward meeting 3 March 2016
• Apologises for not attending all of this meeting but 3 March is the Forest Gate North Special meeting and as the Vice Chair of this ward I will have to leave early to attend.
• Councillor Whitworth and I have been covering case work and surgery’s following the recent tragic bereavement suffered by Councillor Bourne.
• As an authority governor I have attended the governor’s meeting of Rebecca Cheetham Nursery which now forms a joint committee with Ranelagh Primary School.
• Pleased to note that a consultation on a Controlled Parking Zone has finally began for streets south of Portway, E15. I hope that residents will make their views known.
• Other ongoing case work - disputed planning enforcement notice on the Muslim Education and Community Centre in Plaistow Road. I have met with residents who are trustees of the centre and Newham Council planning officers. I am not optimistic that this issue will be resolved in the near future. I am also still of the view that Councils should not be in a position where they are seen as interfering, without good reason, in the fundament human right to practice your religious faith. I am seeking advice on changes to Newham’s planning policy.
• Following complaints to me by concerned residents, enforcement action has been taken against alleged misuse of a Council residential leasehold property.
• I am disappointed about the lack of response I have received from East Thames and Family Mosaic Housing Associations regarding repair and service charge case work and will be escalating the issue to their Chief Executives if this continues.
• The closing off of the Greenway to cyclists and other users is now looking more positive with a partial reopening. • New case work on housing disrepair, garden fencing, Trees damaging properties, (numerous) parking, homelessness, Newham Prevent Programme, ASB, service charges, fracking (in Newham) and adult social care.
• 9 January Councillor Surgery at Vicarage Lane Community centre, then I took part in a West Ham Ward canvass in Paul Street, E15. It was great to see new members taking part for their first time. • 13 January Councillor Surgery at Brassett Point, E15
• 14 January I attended Custom House ward meeting with BBC reporter Iain Watson talking about his new book “Five Million Conversations” on the Labour campaign in the 2015 General Election.
• 16 January I joined our MP Lyn Brown for a Super Saturday canvass session in Canning Town and later in Forest Gate.
• 21 January I attended the quarterly Strategy meeting of the Newham Investment and Accounts Committee and in the evening an open meeting by West Ham CLP Women's Forum for an Open Discussion evening with the Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury Seema Malhotra MP.
• 23 January Councillor Surgery at Vicarage Lane Community Centre (cover for Councillor Bourne)
• 27 January the AGM and business meeting of the Local Authority Pension Fund Forum in Isle of Dogs.
• 30 January helped set up and steward launch of Newham United Against Austerity (NUAA) with Shadow Chancellor, John McDonnell MP as keynote speaker.
• 31 January I went to "It's the economy, stupid" at Sunday Night Live with Professor Steve Keen
• 1 February was at Newham Labour Group meeting where I made comments and suggestions on the budget
• 2 February there was a joint meeting with members of Newham Investment and Accounts meeting and the new Pension Board
• 6 February attended the Labour Local Government Association annual conference in Nottingham (self-funded)
• 8 February attended launch in Newham of the City and East Momentum in East Ham
• 13 February Councillor Surgery in Vicarage Lane Community centre followed by Super Saturday canvass in Custom House.