Sunday, August 22, 2010
"Managers behaviour are key" to getting sick workers back to work
This recent "back to basis" guidance on what Managers should do with long term sick workers is from the CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personal & Development supported by the Health & Safety Executive amongst others)
"Staying in touch regularly with the individual while they are off sick
• Reassuring them that their job is safe
• Preventing them from rushing back to work before they are ready
• Providing a phased return to work
• Helping them adjust to the workplace at a gradual pace
• Asking the individual's permission to keep the team informed on their condition
• Encouraging colleagues to support the individual's rehabilitation
• Holding regular meetings to discuss the individual's condition and the possible impact on their work"
I would add regular consultation with trade union reps as also being key but all of this is a welcome start.